Thursday, November 13, 2008

Overflowing

One of the biggest reasons I really wish I could quit my job, is just so that I would have more time. I only have class 2 days a week, and since I work almost every day, there really isn't much room to squeeze any more days into the studio. So I usually try to squeeze as much work out of the hours I have available.

Which leads me to a problem: there isn't enough space.

The school allows me 2 shelves on the big rolling shelving units in the studio (just like every other student), and if I throw very large/tall pieces, I usually need to take out the top shelf to be able to fit it into the space. In a three hour period, I can easily produce enough, if I'm throwing large, to take up all the space available to me. Which means the next time I'm in, I need to trim and finish off everything I did the day before, or else I won't have room for anything new.

However, I haven't quite figured out the alchemy for wrapping my pots JUST well enough so they don't completely dry out in the days that I'm gone, but not SO well that they don't dry at all. So, I usually can't trim at the beginning of each class, and have to let things sit out while I work on something else. It doesn't really take all that long for a piece to dry, but it's a very specific point in dryness where it can be trimmed... Too much, and it's too hard, too little, and it's too soft and sticky, and warps easily.

It would be most effective, if I could be in every day of the week, or nearly so, so that I could check on things regularly and work when they are ready. Which leads me back to the original problem: Time.

*Sigh* It's a circular problem. e=mc^2 where the root of time and space equals the distance between myself and insanity... ..Or, something.

2 comments:

David said...

So, I get to be the first, and the second person to soil this nice new clean space.

The distance between yourself and insanity, not a great distance or time?

Reminds of a joke, he says, "This is going to drive me crazy." and she replies, "That is not a drive, it's a short putt".

rimshot
go ahead and delete this if you wish

Ari said...

*Laughs* Too true, it's not a long hop.

Thanks for commenting, nice clean spces are so not me. ;)